Monday, December 18, 2017

Fabric Choice

Chapter one;  I have been very sure which covering process I was going to use from the beginning.  When we finalized the purchase of Highlander 393,  I had Just delete the covering.  My only experience with aircraft covering was to take a Poly-Fiber workshop at Columbus State.  It was a three day course.  Further, Since Jim and Donde Miller, the Poly-Fiber East Coast distributers, owned one of my familie's old farms, and was only 15 miles away, the choice was obvious.  Additionally one of the great vehicle painters in Columbus, Jerry Boggs, is one of my early aviation mentors, and exclusively uses Poly-Fiber.  For years he painted Tru-Sports IRL Indy cars (Think Bobby Rayhal).  BUT literally a week before I was to order, I got word that the Millers had sold their inventory. and was out of business.

Chapter Two;  Lo and Behold the next week Stewarts Systems  (SS) moved  7 miles north of me.  Wow!  I went up and talked to Andy Humphrey, the new owner, and was impressed.  I called many of my aviation mechanic friends and found that they all avoided the process.  Mainly because they had never used it and they thought (incorrectly) that SS was the old Blue River water born system.  I also spoke to first time users of SS and they loved it. No previous bias.  I also didn't want my son robby to be exposed to toxic solvents.  I was set to use Stewarts.  BUTTTT.

Chapter Three;  I keep getting pulled off my Highlander Project! (insert angry face here)  Life......


  1. Boy Scouts: One of my true passions is to be involved with these young men.  My Son, and his fellow scouts are involved in many adventures.  As a former Fighter Pilot, I do everything I can to encourage them to seek a bright future, and teach them perseverance, and Leadership.
  2. Farm:  When we "Bought the Farm" (not good in pilot lingo),  we just intended to have a runway.  But, as anyone knows, with out CAVU, taxes are exorbitant.  We tried to lease the excess land, but the lease payments didn't cover the CAVU taxes.  So I spent 6 years carving out a cattle operation with the newest fencing, hydrants/watering systems, winter heavy use pads, and pasture seeding.  2016, 24 head, ... Oh crap,..too many health issues.  Sold the heard Spring 2017
  3. American Airlines;  I was blessed to be selected as a member of the initial cadre of the 787 program.  I was last of the 44 Check Airman (CKA) to be hired.  Most of the early CKAs did the early product development for our clients (AAL pilots, transitioning to the 787).  I was hired to be an operator.  The kind of CKA that will take the student on his or her first flight in the 787. (with revenue passengers)!  Many many days away from home.
  4. Health issues:  My Wife had fibroids removed in April.  Colon resection, 6.1 lb. fibroid removed. And Oh shit instant menopause!
  5. Cancer:  In 2015 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  3 of 12 areas are a Gleason 6.  I have a great friend in Jim Hartke (how was my F-16 training partner) who is a top geneticists. he suggested I take the Polaris genetic test.  It showed I'll most likely die of something else first. A 3% chance I'd die from prostate cancer by my 80th birthday.  Well, not good enough for me.    1 December 2017 I said enough; It comes out!
  6. Time: I'm running out of time.  I don't have time for 3 coats of base, 3 coats of UV Blocker, 3 coats of white, and 3 coats of color, 5 coats of Clear, or what ever your process requires.
Chapter Four;   In rushes Oratex.  I've been watching Better Aircraft Fabric in Alaska for a few years.  I was initially turned off by the cost.  I ordered a sample of their process in Nov. 2017.  I tried to on my Highlander trim tab.  It was easy and actually fun.  No additional processes. Yes it's more expensive, but my time is worth something.  I'm an AP/IA and with 3 projects behind me, I think I can construct the Highlander in the time stated by Justaircraft. 600ish hours.  Well 200 hours are covering.  Oratex is, glueing and shrinking!  My son and I have always wanted an  Olive Drab German Storcth with German vinyl accents.  A Highlander with Oratex is perfect!

So to save 200 hundred hours build time, Oratex 6000 it is.

I've spoken to Joe and Lars.  In the end,  This cost of this process is a bit more, but "Time is Money".

Bruce



No comments:

Post a Comment